Sunday, April 21, 2013

Percy Jackson (first 5) Rick Riordan

Ok, I know, I know, I am a late comer to the world of Percy Jackson. Why? Well I really can not tell you. I have no good excuse, especially now that I have read them all and am glad I finally got around to it!

The first 5 books, a series called Percy Jackson and the Olympians is AWESOME.
Ok, I said it. I love Percy Jackson as much as Harry Potter and Frodo and Sam and Gregor.

So, just in case you haven't read it yourself, here is my review.

This book series follows a boy, Percy, from age 12 to 16 as he learns the shocking and unsettling fact that his father is a Greek god from mythology. He learns his demigod powers and place in the world including his flaws, weaknesses and strengths.
Percy has a lot to overcome. He has moved schools every year because weird things he can't explain keep happening to him. In the first book he learns that there are monsters who try to kill him at every turn. He is raised by his mother and step father who is a vulgar and abusive man. Making friends, let alone keeping them has been a source of sadness for Percy and he has never felt he belonged anywhere. In this series he learns the meaning of family, loyalty, truth and doing what is right even when it is hard. Each book gives Percy a new challenge to work through that develops his character and faith in who he is. By the end Percy has really grown up and is a true hero and good role model in many ways for the kids who read about him.

What I like:
Family bonds. Loyalty to friends and family. Seeking truth. Doing right even if it is hard and not what you want at all. Looking beyond yourself for what is right and good to do. Literary and historical facts thrown in all these books. Mythology and the classics. Greek stuff. To be honest, what kid does not dream of the what if of legends. What if I had super powers, what if the myths were real, what if the mythological gods did have kids with mortals, what if? It's fun to dream. The good guys always win. There are hard challenges to face. It is hard to guess accurately what is going to happen.

What I don't like:
Ok, from a Christian perspective, the kids saying oh my g---. Is not really what I want to be reading or having my kids pick up on. So, depending on your take on things this may be a conversation worth having. While I understand the place this has in the books, I was not comfortable with it. That is the only thing.

Age of reading:
I would say that a kid in 4th-5th grade could read this. It certainly appeals to kids in JH and HS as well. And, well, obviously me too and so that could include adults. :)
I think both boys and girls will like this book, but it has a particular draw for boys. I like that the co- main character is a girl though. A tough one, who is very likeable. 

Appropriateness of content for what age: PG
These books do contain a lot of violence and some of it is somewhat graphic. The books are also very intense with the battles and monsters, etc. So, I would say you have to gauge how your child's personality is. Sensitive kids will need to wait. No harm in that!!! Younger kids might not get the development of Percy and Annabeth's relationship in later books, it is pretty subtle.

Educational value:
This book series is an awesome accompaniment to any curriculum that has your child studying Greek mythology. It is helpful to have had some lessons on this already. It really brings to life some of the stories and ideas of Greek Mythology that the kids learn. If you have a Core Knowledge curriculum at your your school this is going to be 3rd, 5th and 6th & 8th grade. I would say wait until after 3rd and maybe have them read the first book at the end of 4th just before 5th grade and then all of them by 8th grade.  (A good follow up is the next series called Heroes of Olympus and it adds Roman Mythology to the mix).

I read them all in about a month. You can get them anywhere or your library or library kindle loans. 

So, go meet Percy Jackson, he's worth knowing.

No comments: